"On the evening of the twenty-second of June, 1954, at a special parish meeting of St. Mark's Episcopal Church, St. Mark's Day School was established by an overwhelming vote. The Rev. Charles Wyatt-Brown and Mr. T.S. Reed, the Senior Warden, helped fire the imagination of others with the vision of an excellent Episcopal School for the Church in Beaumont." This information was taken from Our Venture in Faith by Mrs. Mamie McFaddin Ward and E.H. Hurst.
Two years later in July 1956, a state charter established All Saints Episcopal School with a Board of Trustees from all of the Episcopal congregations of Beaumont, Texas: St. Mark's Episcopal Church, St. Stephen's Episcopal Church and St. Matthew's Episcopal Church.
The school has grown from its original size of 15 Kindergarten students, to include approximately 400 students, beginning with the 3 year old class and continuing through the 8th grade. The first 50 years have seen many changes, great expansion, and tremendous progress; yet, the foundation remains the same: daily chapel, an advanced curriculum, a strong emphasis on liberal arts, a challenging athletic program, and an unwavering commitment to service to our community, both local and global. Many different faces have graced our hallways, but the spirit of the community remains timeless, including supportive church parishes, tireless Board members, bright students, dedicated faculty, coaches and staff, and parents willing to be involved in every aspect of the school as volunteers, teachers and fundraisers.
The official 50th anniversary celebration began September 24, 2004 with a special chapel service honoring several local and former community members who have supported the school over the years. The newly established Hall of Saints first inducted the family of founding benefactor Mamie McFaddin Ward: Gene McFaddin, Ida Caldwell McFaddin Pyle, James L.C. McFaddin, Jr. and Rosine McFaddin Wilson.
Next to be inducted was Carey Maloney, graduate of the All Saints Class of 1966. In 1980, Mr. Maloney was named a vice president for Christie's in New York City. He founded M(Group) in 1983, which specializes in residential architecture. Carey is an active volunteer in the New York City community, helping the library and donating architectural design work for city buildings, while continuing to be a lifelong supporter of All Saints.
Finally, the ceremony honored The Revd A. Dean Calcote, who served as Headmaster for the school from 1974 until 1998. During his 24 year tenure, enrollment increased, financial stability was established, and the current physical plant was completed. Father Calcote continues to serve on the Executive Board of the Southwestern Association of Episcopal Schools and is Chairman of the Diocesan Schools Commission for the Diocese of Texas. As spiritual leader, Father Calcote firmly established the value of daily chapel at All Saints.
The celebration continued later on that afternoon with a Parade of Saints and an Anniversary Gala.
We enter each new school year with a profound sense of appreciation for the ones who have come before us and a renewed commitment to continue the legacy. We continue the tradition of starting each day with our school prayer...
Father in Heaven, whose son Jesus Christ took children into his arms and blessed them; Bless, we pray, the students of All Saints School. Grant that we may grow up reverently in your love, give us day by day strength and guidance; so that we may continue in your love and service until our lives end. Grant this for Jesus Christ's sake.
We look forward to the next 50 years, as the students and the teachers and the parents continue to say......